For my 30th birthday in March last year Jens gifted with me with a sledge hammer and then we proceeded to knock down the wall between our kitchen and living room. Finally nine months later we’re officially calling our kitchen remodel done. So without further fanfare, here is the before (just after the wall came down) and after.
From a floor plan perspective, we were able to redirect the traffic pattern around the kitchen work triangle and add a ton more storage and work surface area.
We DIYed about 90% of the work with the help of friends, family, and neighbors. The major work included:
- Adding overhead/pendant lighting and relocating electrical in wall
- Knocking out a wall and framing in a doorway
- Installing and refinishing hardwood floors
- Building new peninsula cabinetry
- Installing a new apron front sink and faucet
- Building and installing new drawers
- Building new cabinet doors and drawer fronts
- Painting cabinet face frames, doors, and drawer fronts
- Finishing and installing a butcher block peninsula bar
- Installing new quartz countertops (done by counter fabricators)
- Installing a marble tile backsplash
- Hanging open shelving
It was a slow process getting to the finish line but I’m very proud of our final results. It brings a smile to my face every time I walk into our “new” kitchen and knowing we accomplished everything ourselves makes it that much more satisfying.