DSC_7231

Kitchen Reveal

For my 30th birthday in March last year Jens gifted with me with a sledge hammer and then we proceeded to knock down the wall between our kitchen and living room. Finally nine months later we’re officially calling our kitchen remodel done. So without further fanfare, here is the before (just after the wall came down) and after.     kitchen-before

kitchen-after

From a floor plan perspective, we were able to redirect the traffic pattern around the kitchen work triangle and add a ton more storage and work surface area.

floor-plan

We DIYed about 90% of the work with the help of friends, family, and neighbors. The major work included:

It was a slow process getting to the finish line but I’m very proud of our final results. It brings a  smile to my face every time I walk into our “new” kitchen and knowing we accomplished everything ourselves makes it that much more satisfying.

DSC_7228

DSC_7229

DSC_7210

DSC_7181

DSC_7173

DSC_7232

DSC_7168

DSC_7244

This post linked to Work it Wednesday, Wow Us Wednesdays, Creativity Unleashed, Inspiration Gallery, Weekend Bloggy Reading, Remodelaholics Anonymous, Link Party Palooza, Creating with the Stars

Pick a comment platform:

51 thoughts on “Kitchen Reveal

1. Trisha D.

After the labor of love, it is absolutely gorgeous!! You're new layout seems to fit the room waaaay better. I'm in love with your tile backsplash- I'd pet it if I saw it in person (har)!! Great work!!

P.S. It's totally magazine ready- I'd be showing this bad baby across the entire interwebs if I were y'all. Off to pin the Bajeezus out of it!!

1. Becky Post author

Thanks so much Trisha! My friend and I always refer to our visits to The Tile Shop as "going tile petting" and then we get eye rolls from our husbands. I'm glad to hear we're not the only ones who like to pet tile!

1. Becky Post author

We are loving it – it's so much more functional to cook in and I love that I can see the kiddos playing in the other room with the more open layout. Miss you guys!

1. Becky Post author

Thanks Morgan – I can't wait to see what you do with your new place! I'm excited about all that wallpaper coming down in there, I'm sure you'll have some drastic before and afters yourself!

2. Nicole

What kind of marble tile is on the back splash? Forgive me if you have it posted somewhere… I think it would be perfect for a downs kitchen remodel. Thanks! And beautiful job!

1. Becky Post author

Thanks Brynne… I'm sure with your eye for mixing styles you'll end up with a gorgeous kitchen of your own when time and budget allows.

3. Kaylor Little

Absolutely beautiful. Love the colors and the new layout. We just finished a DIY kitchen remodel so I know how happy you must feel to be done and actually use your beautiful space!

4. Liz

So pretty!! I love the open shelves, the bins above the fridge, the potted herbs on the bar by the window…all of it!! Great work!!

5. Lisa

Beautiful transformation, I love the color of the cabinets and the farmhouse sink is perfect. I bet adding the breakfast bar has added so much more counter room and storage.

6. Kim@NewlyWoodwards

Um. I'm sort of speechless. I love love love this entire remodel and plan to spend my entire night looking through every single kitchen post. I love the color of the cabinets and that new peninsula most of all. And let's not even get started on the sink. Swoon.

7. Pingback: Work it Wednesday – Plus Features! {and an $850 Paypal Cash Giveaway} | The Happy Housie

8. Pingback: Work It Wednesday No. 31

9. site

Lovely! You did a splendid job, you guys! It looks cleaner and more tidy now because of the white cabinets. Oh, what wonders changing a color can do!

10. Amanda

What a beautiful transformation! I love your kitchen! I've been looking at buying a curtain rod for above my window…where did you buy yours? Very cute how you used it with planters, what a great idea!

11. Janet

How long did it take you? My son's house is in Desparate need of a complete new kitchen but besides a lack of money, I don't know how they'd manage while doing a remodel themselves. Can you imagine….their kitchen has NO drawers. So cabinets will not be salvaged. You did a beautiful job and I'm sure it definitely adds to your satisfaction that you did most of it yourself.

1. Becky

We started in March and finished in December but there are a lot of factors as to why it took so long. My husband and I both work full time and have two youngsters so our progress was pretty limited to weekends when we could find a sitter and had no other major plans. While we had stretches of time that we were living with temporary plywood countertops and no cabinet doors our kitchen was still largely functional throughout most of the remodel.

12. Sue

What a beautiful result your diy efforts yielded! I love your selection of marble backsplash tiles. So elegant and classic. Also, loved the color of your cabinets. Overall, an excellent job! Enjoy!

13. Deb

You did a fantastic job on your kitchen. I love the idea of hanging plants on the window above the sink. I will have to use that idea for herbs and the baskets above the refrigerator, another great idea. Thanks for sharing your awesome work!!